jeudi 27 avril 2017

The Upside of Unrequited - Becky Albertalli



Title: The Upside of Unrequited
Autor: Becky Albertalli
Number of pages: 336p.
Genre: Young Adult
Published by: Balzer & Bray/Harperteen

Seventeen-year-old Molly Peskin-Suso knows all about unrequited love. No matter how many times her twin sister, Cassie, tells her to woman up, Molly can’t stomach the idea of rejection. So she’s careful. Fat girls always have to be careful.

Then a cute new girl enters Cassie’s orbit, and for the first time ever, Molly’s cynical twin is a lovesick mess. Meanwhile, Molly's totally not dying of loneliness—except for the part where she is. Luckily, Cassie's new girlfriend comes with a cute hipster-boy sidekick. If Molly can win him over, she'll get her first kiss and she'll get her twin back.

There's only one problem: Molly's coworker, Reid. He's a chubby Tolkien superfan with a season pass to the Ren Faire, and there's absolutely no way Molly could fall for him.

Right?


I received this book in this month's OwlCrate and I LOVED it! I think I devoured it in two days.
I felt this connection with the characters and I never felt like this with a book. I had so much in common with the characters, like Molly who suffer from anxiety, her brother who's name's Xavier,  Mina who is pansexual. There was a lot I was able to connect with. 
At the same time, the characters are so different from one and another that everybody can feel the same connection that I felt.
 
Talking about anxiety, Molly takes meds and it feel so good to have a character like that in a book. It make her more human. 
There's a lot of diversity as you can see but the introduction to it is really natural. The book is not centered on this matter. 

The author also use terms that young adults will recognize like Pinterest, Buzzfeed or Florence + the machine. I think it's fun to be able to recognize the website or the bands that the character go on or listen to.
This book is really funny, there was this sentence about guys who wears fedoras that made me laugh out loud. That is pretty rare for me to laugh like that because of a book. It felt good.

I higly recommend this book for anybody. I loved it so much, I coudn't stop reading.
   

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire